Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Experience:  More than 20 years of experience practicing law.
10707909

I've been working with my employer 2 years at a public

Customer Question

I've been working with my employer for nearing 2 years at a public charter school. The school's foundation pays me. Not the school board, as I am a private contractor. The school's foundation from 2014-2015 gave me a contract stating that I would make 42,000 for the 2014-2015 school year, but I did not get half of that salary. After I began working, the school also informed me that I would not be getting paid when the kids have off from school and I wouldn't be paid for holiday breaks (Thanksgiving, Christmas, Spring Break, and other professional development days). That was nit stated in the contract. When I brought this up to the director, he said that funding had stopped and that he would guarantee that I would get the monies if I decided to return for the next year. That didn't happen. I signed a new contract for the 2015-2016 school year and I was specific in asking if I would be getting paid on breaks from school and when would I see the balance of my salary from the year before. I got no response. The foundation changed my contract without speaking to me and no one signed it. They reduced my wages significantly without reduces my hours or reducing my responsibilities and duties. What to do, please? I live in Maryland.
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Maryland
JA: Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: I have been searching for a good lawyer.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Lawyer should know?
Customer: I need to know my rights.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Samuel II replied 7 months ago.

Hello

This is Samuel. I will discuss this and provide you information in this regard.

Of course, the paid holidays, breaks etc are negotiable but are not mandatory to be included or paid to any employee. So unfortunately if it was not discussed in the first year and not in contract, you cannot expect to be paid. If it is in the new contract you should be able to get paid for those days.

However, if the contract specified a certain amount of money for your work then if it is not paid there is a breach of the contract. So you should consider consulting with a local attorney and suing for your money that was agreed upon.

I can tell you how to find a local attorney if you tell me where in Maryland you live. Thank you

Here is a link for the MD Bar Association legal referral services by county. Call the one in your county and ask for an employment contracts attorney to consult with.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I live in Northeast Baltimore. On the city/county border near Towson, Maryland.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I needed to know how long I have before I can't take this to court. Thank you, Samuel.

So if you are in Balto Co use this number(###) ###-####br />
If you are in Balto City use this number(###) ###-####br />
The statute of limitations on a breach of contract is 3 years.

Please let me know if you have other questions. Otherwise, a positive rating will ensure I get credit for my time and information. Thank you

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hello Samuel,I sent another message. We're you able to read it? It is still pertaining to the same issue, but with something additional that never went through.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I thought that maybe you were just answering the first part and then you would add to it later. I apologize for the delay in my response.

Hello

The only response I saw was about your location and I provided the numbers to call for a local legal referral. Also, I replied about the statute of limitations being 3 years Did you have another question in this regard?