Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer
Experience:  Employment/Labor Law Litigation

I just quit my job due to filing a grevince with two of my

Customer Question

I just quit my job due to filing a grevince with two of my supervisor and one administrative I had a meeting with the owners of the company and I recorded the whole conversation and the owner said there was numbers of complains against me bit he would NOT shoe me documents what so ever is that legal
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Allen M., Esq. replied 4 months ago.

Thank you for trusting your question to JA today. I am a licensed attorney with over a decade of law practice and over 20 years of experience in the legal field. I’m happy to be of assistance.

In employment law, if you do not have an employment contract that expressly states you can only be terminated for cause, you are an "at will" employee and can legally be terminated at any time.

I say that only to set the legal stage. There is no law requiring an employer to show you documentation of complaints against you. An employer is not a court or government agency required to follow "due process" like would be required to take away your license or send you to jail.

The employer can terminate without cause or with a cause that isn't really valid or accurate, without any documentation at all. Lack of documentation would keep them from being able to block your unemployment, but it doesn't stop their right to terminate without cause.

The only way an employer is limited from that right is if you have a contract with them specifically limiting that right. Then they would be limited only to the extent established by the contract.

Now, the only other possible complaint here is if you have some evidence to suggest that their actual motivation for treating you this was is your race, religion, gender, age, disability or recent FMLA use, and you'd make that complaint to the EEOC.

If you have any further questions, please let me know. I invite follow up questions, so use REPLY for those. If you have no further questions then good luck going forward and please do not forget to rate my service with a top-three rating so that I receive credit for working with you today. Also, feel free to request me in the future, if you have questions concerning a different matter.

Hello, I wanted to check in and make sure that there was not any additional information that you required after the response I previously provided to you. If you need further assistance, please use REPLY and ask me for any additional information you may need. If not, take care and have a great day.