Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  20+ Years of Employment Law Experience

I was forced to quit my job because I cannot tolerate the

Customer Question

I was forced to quit my job because I cannot tolerate the unfair treatment of my manager.I made written complaint to Human resources but it seems nothing was done. It hurts me to leave my job since I've been there for 13 years and since he became the manager everything changed especially towards me that made me think it's discrimination because i'm the only minority in the department.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Expert_James replied 4 months ago.

Hello! Thank you for using Just Answer. I am James, and I will be assisting you. As we work through your questions, think about this as a conversation. I will ask you questions until I have the information I need, and then I will provide you with an answer. While it might take some time to get through this, we will get through it together.

You are in the immigration category. ​Is this an immigration question? If so, what is your immigration question?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
My question is my case fall into "discrimination law" since I was the only Filipino in the department and been bullied by the manager.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I filed written complaint to the Human Resources but no corrective action done instead they said there was no strong proof about discrimination.

OK, but again, you are int he immigration category. So I need to change the category. Please do not respond, as this will only delay my response.

Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 4 months ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

You say you were being discriminated against, if you were being discriminated against only based on your race, you will need some evidence of that. The first step in any discrimination claim if the employer fails to take action is to file a complaint with your evidence to the EEOC. The EEOC must investigate and must determine whether or not there is sufficient evidence to issue a right to sue letter.

The process is outlined in McDonnell Douglas v. Green, where the US Supreme Court set forth that you have to make a prima facie case with your evidence that the conduct towards you was based only on your race and then the employer has to present a response where they can offer a legitimate business reason for their actions. If the employer offers an alleged legitimate reason for their actions, then you would have to present actual evidence to show that their alleged reason is a lie and is just a cover for discrimination based on your race.

You need to get your complaint filed, since you have only 300 days to file the complaint. Once the complaint is filed, which you do not need an attorney to do, then you can begin your search for a local employment discrimination attorney at the same sites used by other attorneys, or