Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Significant experience in all areas of employment law.

Me and my sister was fired two weeks apart her the say and

Customer Question

Me and my sister was fired two weeks apart her the say for theft and me for harassment in neither case no proof can this be a law suite of some kind
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 4 months ago.

Hello and thank you for entrusting me to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do everything I can to answer your question.

I am very sorry to hear that you were both let go. Were you in a union? Did you have a contract which expressly limited your employer's ability to terminate you but for "good cause"? I very much look forward to helping you on this matter.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No it was not Union or a contract job for me but my sister was a through a temp service at the same place

Thank you.

Unfortunately, the general rule is that employment is "at will" absent union membership or an express agreement to the contrary. At will employment can be terminated for any reason not amounting to discrimination on the basis of a legally protected trait (race, religion, gender, etc.) or retaliation for engaging in certain forms of legally protected conduct (filing a wage claim, taking FMLA leave, etc.). It doesn't matter whether the basis for termination is fair, reasonable or even true. Thus, it would not be a violation of any law to terminate your sister due to suspected theft (even if this allegation had no merit whatsoever) or you for "harassment." The lack of proof does not matter. Since the employment relationship is at will, either the employer or the employee can terminate the relationship as they please. So, I'm afraid to say that based on the facts you have described, there would be no grounds for legal action against the employer, typically speaking.

I hope that you find this information helpful and am genuinely sorry if it is not what you were hoping to hear. Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further.

If you do not require any further assistance, please be so kind as to provide a positive rating of my service so that I may receive credit for assisting you. Very best wishes moving forward.

Was I able to answer your question?