Delta-Lawyer
Delta-Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  In-House Counsel & Litigator
12711280

I have been with this company yrs. () I work from 6 a.m. to

Customer Question

I have been with this company for 20 yrs. (Virginia) I work from 6 a.m. to 4:30 mon-fri. They are now saying I have to work 5 a.m. to 5 p.m. Can I be forced to work that many hours?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Delta-Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

I hope this message finds you well. I am a licensed attorney with over a dozen years of employment law experience. It is a pleasure to assist you today.

The answer is yes, but if you are an hourly employee, they must pay you overtime the minute you go over 40 hours of work in one week. As an hourly employee, generally speaking, you are considered to be non-exempt. This means, under federal law, that once you work over 40 hours in a single week, you must be paid time and a half for the hours over 40 in that given week.

If you are a salaried employee, you are exempt, and you can be forced to work this new schedule without even receiving more pay to do so, as long as they give you notice that your schedule will be changing.

So, ultimately, the answer is yes, you can be forced to work that many hours, unfortunately.

Let me know if you have any other questions or comments. Please also rate my answer positively (THREE OR MORE Stars) on the ratings bar on your end so I can receive credit for my response.

Thank you and best wishes!

Do you have any other questions or comments?