Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Significant experience in all areas of employment law.
60109343

If a Holiday falls on a Monday and it is not your normal

Customer Question

If a Holiday falls on a Monday and it is not your normal work day, do you still get paid 8 hours for the Holiday?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 6 months ago.

Hello and thank you for entrusting me to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do everything I can to answer your question.

Unfortunately, there is no law that requires employers to pay employees for holidays. If your employer has an express policy guaranteeing payment for holidays, then you could try to argue they have a contractual obligation to pay. But otherwise, employees do not have a right to compensation for hours they did not actually work.

I hope that you find this information helpful. Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further.

If you do not require any further assistance, please be so kind as to provide a positive rating of my service so that I may receive credit for assisting you. Very best wishes moving forward.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Is this true even if part of the benefits package is paid Holidays?

That would be what I'm referring to above when I talk about if there is an employer policy to pay holidays. If your benefits packages promises paid holidays and your employer does not pay a holiday then you could argue breach of contract, since you worked in reliance on the reasonable expectation of this paid holiday. So, in this circumstance, you may have recourse, even though there is no law that would otherwise require paid holidays.

I hope this clarifies.

Was I able to answer your question?