Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Experience:  More than 20 years of experience practicing law.

A colleague defamed my character and lied about me, I asked

Customer Question

A colleague defamed my character and lied about me, I asked her to cease this behavior or I would contact a lawyer and sue her for defamation of character and slander. She then contacted my employer and said I threatened her which I did not . I simply asked her to stop damaging my reputation. What Can I do. My job is considering it a threat and I am now under formal investigation. I may lose my job. I work for the govt
JA: Got it. The Employment Lawyer will know how to help you. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: Not yet. Im still trying to find out my rights.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Employment Lawyer should know?
Customer: Not at this moment. My appt with the displinary is at 4pm today
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Employment Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Samuel II replied 4 months ago.

This is Samuel. I am sorry to hear of this situation. Please tell me what information I can provide for you.

How is she defaming you? What is the employer considering to be a threat? That you are going to sue her?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
because of this they cancelled my assignment, wrote me up a disciplinary form, have forbid me from taking any over seas assignments. Which is the assignments I gave done since 2008. The allegation is false. I only requested that my colleague cease slandering my name and defaming my character and informed her that if she did not I woukd have no other alternative then to protect myself and sue her for this conduct and that the consequences of such behavior could affect her license as a lcsw. It was not a threat it was a request. The incident was over her alleging that the United States Army slots machines are rigged and that the machine that I played on was rigged for me to win on. Which I did not win on I lost. She however won 3 jackpots on those slots. She over heard my husband's friend say stay on that nachine it's lucky. And so she got it in her mind the machine was rigged. After that she went around telling military personnel that the slots I played were rigged and unfair. I had strangers coming up to me stating this. It was,becoming a problem. So I requested she please stop saying such things. So she contacted my employer reported I threatened her, I was called in for investigation and the employer was very punitive toward me I lost a assignment which u woukd of made a significant amount of money. Placed on this diciplinary action and forbid to do the work I'm trained to do over seas. Basically demoted. All over her defaming my character and lying and slandering my name. I need to know how to Sue her. This has affected me financially and professionally and I want to pursue this if possible.

Thank you. Well, you can file a defamation of character lawsuit. It is not a process I would suggest you do on your own. And you should at least consider consulting with a local attorney. But to begin, if you want to try on your own, I suggest you can go to the court house and ask the clerk to pull a defamation lawsuit that has been filed where the Plaintiff won and make copies of that suit so you can have the documents to use a samples and conform to your situation at hand.

Remember defamation is the dissemination of lies, as the absolute truth when it is known the information being put out is lies.

I don't understand why you were demoted because you have a right to file a lawsuit against anyone. But that is something your employer can explain when you call them as a witness in the defamation lawsuit.