John, Employment Lawyer
Experience:  Exclusively practice labor and employment law.

I received a good job offer from a good company. They

Customer Question

I received a good job offer from a good company. They rescinded the offer after talking to a former employer who lied to them regarding my employment with them. This former employer lied to them about my dates of employment, a termination (I was never terminated—only laid off and received unemployment), and even bad-mouthed me to this new company without credible evidence (per the HR representative). This former employer cost me a good CAREER with a really good company and they should not be able to get away with this. I want to sue them for defamation of character, loss of wages, or anything else so they can’t get away with this. I am stuck without a way to provide for my family because they are untruthful and standing in my way. Do I have a case or any recourse for this? Please help me.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  John replied 4 months ago.

Hi, thanks for submitting your question today. My name is John. I have over 13 years of legal and consulting experience in this area. I’m happy to assist you with your question today. I'm sorry to hear about your job loss.

From what you've stated you have a solid case they committed a misrepresentation of your character to this employer, which resulted in your non-hire, and you would have claims for the following: defamation per se, tortious interference with business relations, and intentional infliction of emotional distress. You'd have to be able to allege and prove that they intentionally misrepresented facts to the employer, with the intention to defame your character and cause interference with your employment, and that it caused you financial and emotional distress as a result. You would be owed lost wages and emotional damages as a result.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
That is great. How do I find an attorney who will represent me? This is blatant misrepresentation and they need to realize that they can't do this. The longer it waits, the longer that things are "forgotten" and this needs to be dealt with immediately.
Expert:  John replied 4 months ago.

I cannot recommend a specific attorney for you to use under the terms of use of this website, but certainly a good online reference is the They have attorneys there rated by users, which I find more reliable than other sites which are basically paid advertising for the attorneys. Good luck with the matter.

Expert:  John replied 4 months ago.

I believe this answers your question. However, if you need clarification or have follow-up questions regarding this matter, I will be happy to continue our conversation – simply reply to this answer. If you are otherwise satisfied with my response, please leave a positive rating as itis the only way I am able to get credit for my answers. Thank you, ***** ***** wish you all the best with this matter.

Expert:  John replied 4 months ago.

Sorry to bother you, but you haven't yet provided a positive rating for this answer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit and I get no credit for the work I put into the matter. Thanks.