Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA, recognized by ABA for excellence.
4460311

My wife is a masters trained nurse working on her doctorate.

Customer Question

My wife is a masters trained nurse working on her doctorate. She began her doctoral project at Raritan Bay Medical Center (RBMC), Perth Amboy where she worked at the time. Not long after she accepted a position with Panasonic America in Newark. For her Project she was required to find a Doctor of Nursing Practice (DNP) for a mentor to guide her through the project. After leaving her position at RBMC her mentor began to ingnore emails, set up meetings, conference calls with her professor and generally for the past several months has made it impossible for my wife to complete her project. Complaints to the staff at RMBC has only exacerbated the problem with her mentor going on vacation for one month, refusing my wife's attempts at finalizing her project. This has grown to be obviously intentional and there is an email trail that proves the complaint. My wife will now have to miss the next class, not graduate in July, and since there is no other mentor at RBMC she will have to start a different project somewhere else and retake the class. Her mental state at this point is fragile. She is an A student and a member of a Nursed Honor Society. She is a four time published nurse, and the financial strain as well as the enormous amount of time and work needed to start over again may break her.
The actions of her mentor as well as the other nurses are clearly unethical and deliberate. We have no way to remedy the problem, and seek guidance.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 11 months ago.

I noticed no one had picked up on your question yet and that's because the news is probably not going to be what you want to hear, at least to an extent.

Before I ask questions about your situation, I need to make sure that you understand how the website and rating system works.

Many times in these type of situations the law is not in favor of the student. When that happens we have to give the person asking the question bad news. It's true, but sometimes it's not in their favor.

On this website the customer rates us experts at the end of the question and answer and every now and then a customer is unhappy about the law and gives a negative rating. Unfortunately, that negative rating is taken by the website to be a reflection on me, indicating that I wasn't polite, wasn't prompt, or provided a wrong answer.

I'm more than happy to discuss this with you, but I just wanted to make sure that you understood how the system works and that you will rate me on my professionalism and not on whether the law is in your favor or not, since I have no control over that.

With that understanding, do you want me to discuss this in more detail with you?