TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JD, MBA

My husband of 27 years filed in California. We lived there

Customer Question

My husband of 27 years filed for divorce in California. We lived there the entire marriage. Except that i moved to ohio to seperate. Our only community property is 8,ooo debt and his pension. I am on ssi. and the reason we seperated is because i got too sick for him to handle without driving me crazy about it. I cant afford a lawyer. My residency is becoming a roadblock to getting a free lawyer to help. Same as in the state I live.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 4 months ago.

Hello and thank you for the opportunity to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do my very best to answer your legal questions.

Most likely, your husband will get a default judgment, which basically means that you don't dispute the divorce. Unless your husband comes up with evidence indicating that he should have all of the pension (which seems unlikely to happen), then the judge should split the pension 50/50 as you suggested since it is community property. The same goes for the debt.

Does that answer your question? Please let me know if you need clarification, as I am happy to continue helping you until you are satisfied.

Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 4 months ago.

Hello again. I didn't hear back from you, so I'm just checking in to make sure that you don't need more help on this issue. If not, then please remember to provide a positive rating to close out this question (and please remember that your positive rating is the only way that I'll get credit for helping you, so I greatly appreciate it). Thank you!