Infolawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney helping employers and employees.
11313492

I work non-profit organization who had an incident occur

Customer Question

I work for a non-profit organization who had an incident occur while I was on my furlough day. I am the associate director of that program. When I return to work the executive director asked me to signThe incident report. At the explaining to him that I was uncomfortable with signing this report or entering it into the computer which will come up under my name. He stated that I needed to and that I could find because I was aware of the incident. Am I within my legal right to refuse to sign this document and what steps should I take to keep from being fired suspended or receiving any type of write-up.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 6 months ago.

You are within your right since you should be directed to sign something that happened when you were not there. You have no personal knowledge, and accordingly the documents should be signed the person in charge during the day. This appears to be an attempt to shift responsibility to you in case there is upper management concern about handling of incident, supervision etc.

Kindly click on a positive rating.