hrpro37, Sr. Director, Human Resources
Experience:  10+ years of experience in human resources roles with a specialization in employment law

I worked home care company that fired me wrongfully. They

Customer Question

I worked for a home care company that fired me wrongfully. They had a non compete contract, and the clients I was caring for were extremely upset crying and calling for several days. I would stop back to visit and when I was there I would give the guys a haircut and a shave because I was the only one who ever did that. I never excepted anything monetary in exchange. I have sent a letter from health law where this company wants to sue me for continuing being a friend. I have not been there but once in a couple of months because of how this company has acted. I'm not competing, I am not telling their staff what to do and I have been asked by the client and the family to visit anytime. They have put out alerts to all employees that if they see me there to call their office immediately so they can have me removed especially if I offered any type of care. Shaving? Visiting? They try and say that I look inside their healthcare books and I don't and if needed the client has given permission, but it's never come up. The stuff that's contained in those books are nonsense any way. So what can they really do to me? It's the clients right to have visitors and I am not employed by the client or receiving money.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  hrpro37 replied 4 months ago.

Good Evening,

Thanks for using JustAnswer. Can you clarify what your question is? If you are just wanting to verify that your former company can not enforce a non-compete in this situation you would be correct. If you are just visiting a former client and not accepting money, you are not in violation of any sort of non-compete. Your former company would also not be allowed to forcibly remove you from the home of someone who has invited you to visit.

Feel free to ask follow up questions if needed and please don't forget to rate me.