Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Significant experience in all areas of employment law.
60109343

I work IC who is contracted to rooms to go, recently i quit

Customer Question

I work for an IC who is contracted to rooms to go, recently i quit the job and now he wants to withhold my check for damages done when a tree branch fell on the company truck while i was driving. Who is liable and can he withhold my last check?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 6 months ago.

Hello and thank you for entrusting me to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do everything I can to answer your question.

Are you an employee or an independent contractor? Also, in what state is this occurring? I very much look forward to helping you on this matter.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I am an employee and i live in TX

Thank you.

The Texas Payday Law prohibits employers from deducting from earned wages without an express authorization from the employee. Moreover, unless the damage to the vehicle was the result of your negligence, your employer would have no legal basis for going after you for the damage even if they didn't withhold your wages. If you are not paid your final earned wages, you can file a wage claim with t he Texas Workforce Commission. The TWC will order your employer to pay your earned wages, plus interest, plus likely penalties. You can initiate the wage claim process here.

I hope that you find this information helpful. Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further.

If you do not require any further assistance, please be so kind as to provide a positive rating of my service so that I may receive credit for assisting you. Very best wishes moving forward.

* Disclaimer *

Just Answer is a venue for informational and educational purposes only. No attorney-client relationship is formed by these communications.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
ok thank you

You are very welcome, it was my pleasure to help. Again, please feel free to let me know if you have any further concerns. If I have answered your question, I would be very grateful for a positive rating of my service so that I may receive credit for assisting you.

Very best wishes.

Was there anything else I can do?