Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA, recognized by ABA for excellence.

I was a shareholder of a construction company, that I helped

Customer Question

I was a shareholder of a construction company, that I helped set up by using my sole proprietorship, which I maintained. While the corporation was operating it did a public works project that required union labor for a percentage of the job. The company provided the union labor and although broke even went out of business approximately 8 months later. A year after we successfully completed the job, and about 4 months after closing the business the industrial labor department Did an audit of the certified payroll and found a minor discrepancy in one of the Code assignments so we continued to dialog via email. Month later, an ex employee of the out of business corporation picked up some mail from the closed office, and took it to her new office (new job). In the mail was a certified letter slip from Industrial Relations Department, which she signed, recieved the letter and returned to her new job. At no time was myself or any of the other ex shareholders notified or made aware of this letter. The ex employee later admitted that she picked up the letter but forgot about it. Months later I received a letter from industrial relations Department, State of California, that my sole proprietorship contractors lic. Was suspended and we owed the state of California 26,000. For a 399.00 labor rate error because we did not respond to a letter we were completely unaware of. Now they expect me to pay them 19,000. Up front before they will in suspend my contractors Lic. I am a 67 year old man, been in business over 30 years and I was just trying to help my family. Now I am loosing everything, I have no retirement, income, etc. what do I do???? Please help me
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  hrpro37 replied 5 months ago.
Good Evening, Thanks for using JustAnswer. Have you been in contact with the Industrial Labor Dept.?