Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Experience:  More than 20 years of experience practicing law.

I'd like to bring in a Varidesk (tabletop tray that enables

Customer Question

Hello, I'd like to bring in a Varidesk (tabletop tray that enables you to raise and lower your computer so that you can take turns sitting and standing) to work. I had asked my employer if they would purchase one but in order for them to do so they are telling me I have to have my Dr. fill out forms from the American Disabilities act. I'm not disabled, just want to stand for part of the day. I told them I wasn't comfortable with the forms and that I would just buy one on my own. I am now being told that I'm not allowed to bring the Varidesk in since it is going on top of company property. Any advise on this?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Samuel II replied 4 months ago.
HelloThis is Samuel. I will discuss this and provide you information in this regard.
The employer only has a legal obligation to "accommodate" if there is a disability. Absent a disability, the employer has control over its domain. Therefore they do not have to permit your request.
I wish it was better news.
Please let me know, if you have other questions in this regard. Otherwise, a positive rating ensures I get credit for my time and information.