Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Years of experience in running a medium sized law firm.

All -- appreciate this service. Q: Current employee wants me

Customer Question

Hi all -- appreciate this service.
Q: Current employee wants me to stop paying me on May 30, even though they have not terminated me and I have not resigned. They say that as my transfer to the UK branch was tentatively scheduled for then, and yet the contract the UK sent me was not in-line with earlier discussion and so I haven't signed it, they didn't budget for me after May 30.
Any thoughts?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Ely replied 5 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am sorry to hear about this situation, Nigel. Can you please clarify a few things:

1) You say "current employee." Do you mean "current employer?"

2) Are you an employee or contractor?

3) What are you asking, exactly? For example, whether or not your employer can transfer you, or, stop paying you earlier before your termination date, etc?

This is not an answer, but an information request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. Thank you in advance.

Expert:  Ely replied 5 months ago.
Hello! Just touching base to see if you still needed an answer and if you could reply to my query. Thanks!
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hi, sorry yes, employer. I'm employed full-time by them. And the question is exactly that - can they just stop paying me? Wouldn't they have to terminate me or something?
Expert:  Ely replied 5 months ago.
Thank you.
This is not legal. They have to pay you if you are an employee, unless they terminate you. So until/unless they do, and they keep asking you to come in, they have to pay you for the hours worked. Period.
If they do not, then someone in your situation can file for a wage complaint with the PA Dept of Labor & Industry. See here:
I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.