Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA, recognized by ABA for excellence.

24 years ago I got hired by the university as a computer

Customer Question

24 years ago I got hired by the university as a computer operator. During the interview they my past experience and future goals. I answered that eventually I wanted to be computer programmer. I get my BSBA in Computer Info System. Later a programmer I position was advertised. But their minimum requirement was 2 years experience as a programmer. This was a barrier I can't hurdle all these years. One time a operator was hired with less education than I. No degree. She was selected and the position was adjusted so she can qualify. I did say anything. But whenever our family has financial difficulties, I do think about it. I didn't provide the education my kids desired. If I had the job I could have made $10,000 to $15,000 more to get quality education. I would like advice as to what to do next. Don't complain to my employer, but recently my son got underemployed and that was the last straw. I am now trying to do something about it. --Jimmy
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Allen M., Esq. replied 5 months ago.

Thank you for trusting your question to JA today. I am a licensed attorney with over a decade of law practice and over 20 years of experience in the legal field. I’m happy to be of assistance.

I have a few questions that will help me better assist you today.

Do you have some evidence to support an illegal basis for the discrimination? You have certainly mentioned facts which suggest favor/disfavor, but that is not illegal by itself. So, do you have any evidence to suggest that you were targeted based on race, religion, gender, age, disability or recent FMLA (medical leave) use?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank you for your service. Too much time has pasted since what I thought was a bad hired practice by the people I am employed by. Most all those involved have left. I should acted right away. That is all I have to say.
Thanks again, Jimmy Yellowhair
Expert:  Allen M., Esq. replied 4 months ago.

Understood. Take care.