Gerald-Esquire
Gerald-Esquire, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years of experience
77476456

I have been employed by General Motors years but my age is

Customer Question

I have been employed by General Motors for 26 years but my age is not correct. I noticed the mistake several years ago but didn't correct it because of the layoffs. I can retire but am afraid they will deny my benefits if I correct my age now.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Gerald-Esquire replied 6 months ago.
Hello,Thank you for using Just Answer. I want to provide you the best service I can. Please feel free to ask any follow up questions you have.I am an attorney with 30 years of experience; I hope to provide you information that will help you in resolving your question. The fact that the company made a mistake in their records does not justify them denying you benefits. The benefits that you are entitled to are based on your years of service and your age. The company will need to amke the adjustment to your account when you apply for your benefits. There may be a small processing delay but they can not deny your benefits. If you have a problem with making your application you can file a complaint with the US Department of Labor. This link provides detailed information about the regulation of Pension Plans: https://www.dol.gov/ebsa/faqs/faq_compliance_pension.html I want you to be comfortable and satisfied with my attempt to assist you. Please, if you have ANY follow up questions, feel free to ask. Please note that I am generally unavailable Friday evening through Sunday. I hope the information I have provided is useful to you and that I have earned a positive rating from you. It costs you nothing extra, and is the only way I get credit for my attempt to assist you. If you are dissatisfied with my response PLEASE let me know before giving me a negative review so that I may try to be of better assistance. Or if you prefer, let me know and I can “Opt Out” and your question can be re-posted without additional cost to you. I will be fair to you and only ask the same from you.Good luck, Please note: Information given is not legal advice. Only your local attorney can give legal advice. I can't establish or accept an attorney-client relationship with you. All posts are available for public viewing.
By the way these types of errors occur more often than you might realize. The Pension plan will be able to make the proper calculations for your account.
See this link to see that birthday errors are one of the top tens errors that the Pension Plan must adjust for: https://www.dol.gov/ebsa/publications/10common.html Good luck.Kind regards,Gerald