Marsha411JD, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed Attorney with 29 yrs. exp in Employment Law

Is it legal employer to make you make up a day of work if

Customer Question

Is it legal for an employer to make you make up a day of work if you call in sick on a Saturday or Sunday? you don't have to make up a weekday if you are sick...only on the weekend. I work for Florida Hospital Altamonte as a Registered Nurse in ICU and I donn
't think this is right.People get sick on the weekend too.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Marsha411JD replied 5 months ago.
Hello,Thank you for the information and your question. Unless there a a contract in place that limits when the employer can schedule their employees, then there is nothing unlawful with an employer having an employee work an extra shift, no matter what the reason. In other words, in an "at will" situation an employer gets to set and change the terms and conditions of employment as they deem appropriate. It may not seem, or be, fair or even good management for the employer to take this action, but it isn't unlawful. The only exception would be that the employer cannot lawfully treat a particular employee more adversely than their peers simply because of the employee's gender, race, national origin, age (over 40), disability, pregnancy or military service. Otherwise, they can be, and often are, as unreasonable as they choose. Please feel free to ask for clarification. If none is needed, then if you could take a moment to leave a positive rating in the box above, I will receive credit for explaining the law related to your issue to you. Thank you
Hello again,I wanted to touch base with you and make sure that you did not have any follow up questions for me from the answer I provided to you on the 23rd. For some reason, the Experts are not always getting replies, or ratings (at the top of the question/answer page you are viewing or in the pop up box for this question), which is how we get credit (paid by the Site) for our work, that the customer thinks have gone through. In your case I received neither. Please keep in mind that I cannot control the law or your circumstances, and am ethically bound to provide you with accurate information based on the facts you give me even if the news is not good. If you are having technical difficulties with reading, replying or rating, please let me know so that I can inform the Site administrator.Please note that Site use works best while using a computer and using either Google Chrome or Firefox. In any event, it was a pleasure assisting you and I would be glad to attempt to assist you further on this issue, or a new legal issue,if needed. You can bookmark my page at: you.