RobertJDFL, Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.
18284290

My husband was a retired police officer after 31 years. He

Customer Question

My husband was a retired police officer after 31 years. He recently passed away due to illness with no will. Well I receive any benefits from his pension?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 10 months ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. My sincerest condolences on your loss.

To answer your question, tt depends on the pension. In the vast majority of all cases, a person's pension dies with them. In some cases, people elect to take reduced pensions that provide for "death and survivor benefits." This means that even after the person dies, his spouse is able to continue to receive benefits for the remainder of THEIR life.

I don't know if your husband received a state pension plan or not --I'm looking at this information from the State of Conneticut State Comptroller Retirement Division and under the section entitled "Survivor Benefits", depending on what option an employee chooses, a spouse may or may not receive anything. If, for example, the employee chose the "straight annuity" option, then the surviving spouse would get nothing because the pension terminates on death.

Ultimately, the only way you will know for sure is for you to contact the company that administers the pension and inquire if you are entitled to benefits.

If you need clarification or additional information, please reply and I'm happy to assist further. Otherwise, kindly remember to leave a positive rating by clicking on the stars/happy faces before signing out, so I am credited for my time and assistance today. Thank you!

Did you need clarification or additional information about my answer? If so, please reply, I'm happy to assist further. Otherwise, please remember to leave a positive rating for me by clicking on the stars, as experts are not employees of this site and we are only paid if you leave a positive rating. Thank you.

Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 9 months ago.

Just following up with you. Did you need clarification or additional information about my answer? If so, please reply, I'm happy to assist further. Otherwise, please remember to leave a positive rating for me by clicking on the stars, as experts are not employees of this site and we are only paid if you leave a positive rating. Thank you.