Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Attorney
Experience:  Partner at Kent Law Group, LLC

Q: I work in construction in CA and one of my foreman

Customer Question

Q: I work in construction in CA and one of my foreman (manager) is being accused of verbal abuse. The foreman's version is that he's just pushing the guys to work faster and achieve daily goals. I will admit that the foreman could work on how he communicates to the employees, he's more of a dictator than a leader, but the guys who are accusing him are also not meeting their goals and don't like being held accountable. At first i thought it was the employee, but now it's grown to more than just one employee accusing the foreman, 5+. The employees have not brought this to my attention, I'm the boss, but the foreman overheard them talking about filling a suit against the company. Rather than turn a blind eye I would like to address this head on. What would you recommend? Have a meeting with said employees and hear their complaints? If valid, I believe they are, what are my options with foreman? He's a good foreman who delivers results, but I rather have 10 workers that can yield more results with correct leadership, than lose 10 guys for one foreman who will eventually burn out the next group.
Thank you for your time.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Olivia Kent replied 5 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'm an attorney. I’ll be happy to help you in any way I can. This site is for educational purposes only. Sometimes - although certainly not always - experts have to give you what you deem “bad news” but that should not be a reflection of how satisfied you are with the assistance your expert provided. My goal is to make sure you are completely satisfied before you submit your rating so please let me know if you have additional questions or you need me to clarify anything If there is a delay in the time it takes me to respond it is because I am working with a customer or I am not online - but rest assured I will respond to your follow up question, if you have one. Also, occasionally I will respond from a mobile JA unit, which automatically asks you to submit a rating once I submit a response - but please don't feel like you need to do so until we are done speaking. I would absolutely encourage you to address this head on. A meeting with individual employees would be better than a meeting with everyone at the same time - you'll get more useful information. Document everything. You may also wish to reassure your people that you are looking out for them. Depending on what you find, you'll need to decide whether you want to retain or terminate this employee. I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any other questions or you need me to clarify anything. I'd be happy to do so.

Hello. I wanted to check in with you to see if you have any follow up questions or need me to clarify anything.

Expert:  Olivia Kent replied 4 months ago.

Hello. I noticed you have not yet submitted a rating and therefore it remains "Open" on my end. I was wondering if you need any additional information or need me to clarify anything first. I’d be happy to do so. Please do NOT provide a negative rating if there's something you are unclear about; please just ask a follow up question and I'll be happy to answer it.