Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

Im a state public school employee. My title is Executive

Customer Question

im a state public school employee. My title is Executive assistant of personnel. I am not in the union. This group of eight employees - all executive assistants but of different departments - negotiate their own salaries. During our negotiations there were adjustments made to certain employees salaries. It seems that there is favoritism on who gets these adjustments over the Past 3 contracts. Is there anything as an employee that I can do because of these adjustments being made to a certain administrators assistants - the business administrator!! They said they wanted to bring everyone to 40,000 but that isn't true because some are over. Do I have any options or is it a losing battle?? Each contract for 3 contracts only once has someone other than the business office staff received a salary adjustment.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 9 months ago.
Unfortunately, there is nothing you can do if the reason for the adjustment does not have anything to do with race, gender, age (40 and above), national origin, or the like. The employer has sole discretion to negotiate different salaries for different employees eventhough their jobs are essentially the same if the reason for different rates is not based on any of the aforementioned prohibited grounds. However, if you are alleging discrimination, then you need to bring your concerns to the Human Resources Department ("HR"). Then if the HR fails to resolve your issue, you can file complaint with U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission. Kindly give a positive rating to my response so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for doing this. Thank you for your cooperation.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thank you for your response. Exactly what I thought!!
You are quite Welcome! Kindly give a positive rating to my response so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for doing this. Thank you for your cooperation.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
One thing to add - they didn't negotiate salaries they just gave them to us. Giving ones who work in the business department higher adjustments just like in past 3 contracts. It isn't a physical discrimination - it is because we don't work for him. It is so obvious!!!!
Thank you for the information. My initial response to the subject remains the same. Kindly give a positive rating to my response so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for doing this. Thank you for your cooperation.