Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer
Experience:  Employment/Labor Law Litigation

I was terminated from my employer after I was assaulted by

Customer Question

I was terminated from my employer after I was assaulted by a customer, the customer has been charged and is awaiting trial. Two weeks after the incident I was terminated for the situation. My signed handbook states that Aldi will protect all it's associates from harm. Do I have any recourse?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Allen M., Esq. replied 5 months ago.
Thank you for trusting your question to JA today. I am a licensed attorney with over a decade of law practice and over 20 years of experience in the legal field. I’m happy to be of assistance. If you were injured and have medical bills, you can and should certainly file a complaint with the employer's worker's compensation carrier. That would be a covered incident. However, that would be the only recourse on these facts. The statement in Aldi's policy doesn't create a contractual obligation to maintain your employment. It would certainly help in a suit against the company for any harm you suffered and continue to suffer from the assault itself (through a WC claim), but it doesn't make your termination a wrongful termination. To have wrongful termination, you must have a contract of employment stating you can only be terminated for cause, or you must be alleging discrimination based on your race, religion, gender, age or disability. If you have any further questions, please let me know. I invite follow up questions, so use REPLY for those. If you have no further questions then good luck going forward and please do not forget to rate my service with a top-three rating so that I receive credit for working with you today. Also, feel free to request me in the future, if you have questions concerning a different matter.
Hello, I wanted to check in and make sure that there was not any additional information that you required. If you need further assistance, please use REPLY and ask me for any additional information you may need. If not, take care and have a great day.