CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Experience:  Civil litigation attorney for individuals and businesses.
71563194

I am working remote in CA company based in AZ. I may

Customer Question

I am working remote in CA for a company based in AZ. I may have an issue coming up. If I have to sue them where would it be CA or AZ?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 6 months ago.
Dear Customer,While there is a very good argument that you can sue in CA (the company subjected themselves to "personal jurisdiction" of the court by conducting business in the state of CA when they hired you to conduct work in that state), there are some strategy considerations that may make it worthwhile to file suit in AZ.If you file suit in AZ, there will be no dispute over the jurisdiction of the court. It is also going to be easier to enforce any judgment that you get against the company (if you get a CA judgment against them, and they refuse to pay, you will have to take your CA judgment to AZ and enforce it as a "foreign state judgment" - this is not hard to do, but it is one more step that you will have to take).