Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Significant experience in all areas of employment law.
60109343

A group of mangers go out after work. My boss went

Customer Question

A group of mangers go out for drinks after work. My boss went into my purse without my knowledge and took my keys and said he'd give them back the next day at work. I had to URBER on my day off to go into work and get my car keys. Can he do that? I was the only one he took keys from.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 6 months ago.
Good evening and thank you for entrusting me to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do everything I can to answer your question. Technically no, he can't do that. Employees have a reasonable expectation of privacy with respect to their personal belongings and going through an employee's purse violates that privacy expectation. Withholding property may also constitute the tort of conversion. The question is what do you want to do about it. Presumably you did not suffer any damage as a result of your boss's conduct, aside from the cost of an Uber ride. So, you wouldn't stand to recover anything from a civil lawsuit. And if you make an issue out of this, I'm guessing your boss might defend his actions on the ground that you were too inebriated to drive. So, from both a legal and practical standpoint, a lawsuit would be unlikely to benefit you. You can certainly complain to HR. You can also address the issue head on with your boss and explain how you thought this was unnecessary and crossed the line. These would typically be your best options under the circumstances that you describe. I hope that you find this information helpful. Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further.If you do not require any further assistance, please be so kind as to provide a positive rating of my service so that I may receive credit for assisting you. Very best wishes moving forward.* Disclaimer *Just Answer is a venue for informational and educational purposes only. No attorney-client relationship is formed by these communications.
Was I able to answer your question? Please let me know if there is anything else I can do.....