Attorney2020
Attorney2020, Lawyer
Experience:  I have significant experience in employment law.
63724254

Regarding: relocation expense repayment if no offer letter

Customer Question

Regarding: relocation expense repayment if no offer letter or relocation contract was signed.
A company paid $6k in relocation expenses without a signed offer letter or relocation reimbursement contract.
The unsigned offer letter indicated repayment if I leave the company inside 12 months. I left after 10 months.
I resigned from the company due to unsafe working conditions.
1- Am I legally obliged to pay back relocation without a signed contract?
2- What determines the payback terms? $6k over 5 years for example- there is no agreement.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Attorney2020 replied 6 months ago.
1- Yes, however the company can ague that you accepted the contract by virtue of working there. If you can state and show that you did not agree to the terms of the unsigned contract then you are in good shape to beat the contract. Also, the unsafe working conditions could be considered a contractual defense as to impossibility to perform due to working conditions.2- Whatever the parties can agree to that is reasonable will fashion the payment terms. I hope that helped. Please ask any follow-up questions. Please rate my answer so that i may be credited for my time. I thank you in advance for your cooperation.
Please rate my answer so that I may be credited for my time. I thank you in advance for your cooperation. Please rate my answer so that I may be credited for my time. I thank you in advance for your cooperation. Please rate my answer so that I may be credited for my time. I thank you in advance for your cooperation. Please rate my answer so that I may be credited for my time. I thank you in advance for your cooperation.