Delta-Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  In-House Counsel & Litigator

I have a few questions. 1. Can an employee fire someone just

Customer Question

I have a few questions. 1. Can an employee fire someone just because they do not want to pay their wages ?
JA: The Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: I have tried but no one is calling me back.
JA: Please give me a bit more information, so we can help you best.
Customer: my husband was told on Friday that due to over inflated payroll he is no longer to clock in but is required to work 20 hours a month off the clock.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Lawyer should know?
Customer: Yes I feel like I am in a hostile work environment. I am not allowed to go to leave my office. I am afraid to go to the bathroom, eat lunch etc. I have expressed this in emails to my boss and now all the emails have been deleted.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Delta-Lawyer replied 5 months ago.
I hope this message finds you well, present circumstances excluded. I am a licensed attorney with over a dozen years of employment law practice experience. It is a pleasure to assist you today. An employer can terminate an employee for any reason or no reason at all as long as they do not discriminate against them in the process based on age, race, gender or disability. However, they must pay them for hours worked and they are required to pay them when they do work (for instance, even if he is required to work "off book" they have to pay him for all the hours he works, whether or not he is officially clocked in to work). If he is an hourly employee, they must also pay him for every hour he works over 40 hours in a work week. Let me know if you have any additional questions. Please also rate my answer positively (three or more stars) so I can receive credit for my response. Best wishes going forward!
Did you have any additional questions?
Just checking in this morning to see if you have any additional questions or comments. I want you to be as comfortable as possible moving forward. Thanks