hrpro37, Sr. Director, Human Resources
Experience:  10+ years of experience in human resources roles with a specialization in employment law

My girlfriend and I both work same company.

Customer Question

My girlfriend and I both work for the same company. I am a salaried Manager and she is an hourly clerk. We both work in different Pharmacy retail stores. The issue is with her and her manager. All of 2015 she had no write ups or any action taken on her at all and then in April of this year the Pharmacy Manager gave her the review for 2015 which in turn gave her a below standard review. This review prompted a Performance Improvement Plan (PIP).
On the review she signed under duress saying a letter to follow. She did write out the letter
but had decided not to send it in to Human Resources. Knowing I can't get to involved because of being Salaried and I don't want to get fired myself, my question is what can she do if she is feeling that she may loose her job of over 13 years with the company with this on bad review? Granted she does have to complete the PIP process.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  hrpro37 replied 5 months ago.
Good Evening, My advice would be to contact human resources and attach her documentation and feedback to the review. Along with attaching the documentation she should also connect with someone in human resources and voice her concerns. This may seem a bit drastic but someone in human resources will be able to ensure that there isn't an issue with discrimination or anything like that. In my opinion, if she has been a strong employee for 13 years she shouldn't have anything to worry about for 1 bad review but if the pattern of write ups continues for seemingly no reason she may be experiencing discrimination. Also remember to document everything! Feel free to ask follow up question if you would like and please remember to rate me! Thank you, Amber (10+ years of senior HR experience)