hrpro37
hrpro37, Sr. Director, Human Resources
Experience:  10+ years of experience in human resources roles with a specialization in employment law
80178101

I am an Law-Enforcement Deputy and in Dec 2015 I was exposed

Customer Question

I am an Law-Enforcement Deputy and in Dec 2015 I was exposed to and infected with MRSA. Since December I have had it "flare up" 5 times. Work is the only consistent thing I have had since December. Three weeks ago I was hospitalized with a MRSA infection again which landed me in the hospital for a week on antibiotics. I was advised while in the hospital to pursue workmans comp as they felt it was considered an occupational injury "due to being assigned to a medical division during that time to which I was exposed to everything from the flu to TB/Shingles/MRSA and a flesh eating bacteria. I reviewed several cases out of FL where I work and where MRSA has been considered an occupational injury. What is my course of action if Risk Management (workmans comp) does not approve my claim?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  hrpro37 replied 6 months ago.
Good Evening, If your worker's compensation insurance claim is denied you can always appeal that decision with the company. You can also use your personal health insurance (if you have it) and attempt to collect your out of pocket costs from your employer. If you have any additional questions please let me know and don't forget to rate me! Thanks, Amber
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Okay, thanks! What I am ultimately wondering is if MRSA is considered a coverable injury due to the increased exposure risk?
Expert:  hrpro37 replied 6 months ago.
Absolutely! any injury (including MRSA) is coverable under worker's compensation if it is shown that it was caused (directly or indirectly) by your job. This would even be true if you had a separate injury and developed a MRSA infection while in the hospital due to that injury.