Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

I was on short term disability , it ended in February.

Customer Question

I was on short term disability for cancer, it ended in February. I was put on long term disability not able to return to work yet. I did not realize that my health insurance ended the end of February. The company I worked for never let me know I would be loosing insurance. I did not find out until April, when I received a letter telling me I could appy for Cobra. So meanwhile I had CT Scan and biopsy done in March and I was not covered. Is there anything I can do regarding this?
Also I think the company has retired me. I received a letter letting me know how much I will be receiving for my pension. Can they just retire me without any notification?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 10 months ago.
Is there anything I can do regarding this? Response 1: Yes, there is. You can speak to your Human Resources Department about extending your coverage until the time you were told to apply for COBRA. Otherwise, you can file complaint against the company with U.S. Department of Labor, Employee Benefits Security Administration and let the agency investigate the employer's conduct. Also I think the company has retired me. I received a letter letting me know how much I will be receiving for my pension. Can they just retire me without any notification? Response 2: No, they cannot. You have have been given a notice of the retirement. You can file complaint with U.S. Department of Labor, Employee Benefits Security Administration. Kindly give a positive rating to my response so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for doing this. Thank you for your cooperation.