Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Lawyer
Experience:  Employment Law Expert
11068102

I was hired in September of 2014 and signed a document to allow

Customer Question

I was hired in September of 2014 and signed a document to allow them to do a criminal background check , they never did. Can they do one now and if so could I be terminated over something that happened over 20 years ago?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 6 months ago.
Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms. Unfortunately, the answer is "yes" to both of those. An employer generally does not have to have permission to run a criminal background check on an employee although they sometimes need it to run a search on a prospective employee. Since PA is an employment at will state an employer can terminate an employee for any reason and at any time, other than an illegal reason like race, age, gender, etc.