Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  20+ Years of Employment Law Experience
10285032

I am 65 and have been employed With this company 20

Customer Question

I am 65 and have been employed With this company for over 20 yrs.About 9 months ago I was given a position described as a prom. My boss at that time said she really anted e to ak the job. So I did. I am an acct exec for large chains.i was given 5 chains, min training and started to feel comfortable about 2 months ago. The stress was extreme during that time. In March the co. Let 4 people go, did a realignment and gave me 5 additional chains. The workload,travel and demand causing me anxiety beyond anything I have ever experienced in the workplace.i had hoped to work until full retirement bu don't think I can make it. D I have any rights other than t quit which financially is difficult? Can I take a LOA to figure this out? What f any are my rights?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 6 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Unfortunately, employment in CA is still considered to be at will. AS such, you have to do the work the employer requires of you for the pay they offered. AS long as they are not doing this to you based only on your age/race/sex/disability/national origin, you have no recourse here against the employer and you simply have to do your job.
If you have a doctor who is willing to say that you are suffering physical symptoms from job related stress then you can file a workers compensation claim and go out of work for job related stress. That is really your only other option you have here besides looking for a new job.