Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA, recognized by ABA for excellence.

What is my employers responsibility to provide a safe wor environment

Customer Question

what is my employers responsibility to provide a safe wor environment free from customer harassment and threats
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  texlawyer replied 5 months ago.
Hello. I'll be happy to assist you.Could you explain the situation a little further? What is your job title?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I am a General manager for a restaurant and we have had guests threaten to fight me, pull a knife on me, spit on me, threaten to come back and kill me for trying to leave without paying bill or not wanting to pay for what they ate. My company provides security in two other locations but will not allow me to have it because we are not budgeted for it. I try to protect my staff from getting in the middle of it but the stress on me is taking its toll and I know that after being threatened 4 times in the last week something has to change before someone gets hurt.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
With my age at 55 it is harder to find someone who wants to employ me and I just can't keep going through this but I can't afford to lose my income and insurance at this point
Has anyone been injured - customers or employees?