hrpro37, Sr. Director, Human Resources
Experience:  10+ years of experience in human resources roles with a specialization in employment law

I currently work as an Independent Contract worker for

Customer Question

I currently work as an Independent Contract worker for Needle.INC.
I work as an online Sales Representative, and i currently am contracted to Webroot, my question pertains to the current circumstance.We sign up for our hours to "Commit" to taking a chat and interacting with customers. However recently they have added a new console for us to talk in, and with the new console came the rule that while we are in a chat we can not be set to "Away" so that we can not take anymore chats. While i understand this rule, my issue with it is that should i ever need a Bathroom break, or an emergency comes up, i have to wait 4 maybe 5 hours before i can do anything about it. And sometimes that is just not an option with having to use the bathroom.I guess bot***** *****ne, is it legal for them to refuse our right to go to away so that we can step away from the computer to take care of personal needs?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  hrpro37 replied 5 months ago.
Good Evening, Thanks for using JustAnswer! The short answer to your question is no, the company can not penalize you from taking bathroom breaks and the reason is because you are employed as an Independent Contractor so the organization you work for can not dictate your day-to-day schedule. It would probably be best to out to the organization's HR department and let them know that you are noticing that you don't have time to take a restroom break and that you are requesting the freedom to take short breaks when needed (maybe 5 minutes, once per hour). If I answered your question please rate me! and feel free to ask follow up questions if needed!