hrpro37
hrpro37, Sr. Director, Human Resources
Experience:  10+ years of experience in human resources roles with a specialization in employment law
80178101

Is there anything we're legally required to do when cutting

Customer Question

Is there anything we're legally required to do when cutting staff due to work performance?
Category: Employment Law
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Can some call me at(###) ###-####
Expert:  hrpro37 replied 9 months ago.
Hello, The answer may depend on how many staff members you are terminating but if you are just asking if you can terminate someone due to performance you can do that if you are in an "at-will" state. Most states are at-will and if that's the case you can terminate an employee at any time for any reason. In order to further protect yourself, I would document the worker's lack of performance for a couple of weeks prior to termination. This just helps in case the employees attempts to make a claim for discrimination.