Attorney2020
Attorney2020, Lawyer
Experience:  I have significant experience in employment law.
63724254

I have a question regarding union organizations payout of defense

Customer Question

I have a question regarding union organizations payout of defense funds (savings that members put into) in the event of a strike. Can a Union legally dictate the terms in which a member in good standing can receive said funds that are to be paid out during a work stoppage? (i.e., if you don't do picket duty, or other subjective tasks (defined or undefined), you will not qualify for payment)
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Attorney2020 replied 6 months ago.
The union contract terms govern as long as they do not require you to do an illegal act.If the terms of the Union Agreement state the circumstances that you will be paid during a work stoppage, those terms govern. If not, it could be considered a breach of contract if the Union refuses to pay you while work stoppage assuming the contracts requires such payment.I hope that helped. Please ask any follow-up questions. Please rate my answer so that i may be credited for my time. I thank you in advance or your cooperation.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Our collective bargaining agreement does not speak to strike payout. This process is verbally expressed so often that no one questions if written language exists, or even know where to find such written documentation. If I need to retain counsel to pursue my issue, how should I go about searching for a SME in labor law dealing with unions specifically?
Here is a link to where you can find a local labor law attorney for your issue: http://lawyers.findlaw.com/lawyer/practicestate/labor-law/virginia I hope that helped. Please ask any follow-up questions. Please rate my answer so that i may be credited for my time. I thank you in advance or your cooperation.