hrpro37
hrpro37, Sr. Director, Human Resources
Experience:  10+ years of experience in human resources roles with a specialization in employment law
80178101

MY NAME IS ******** I LIVE WAUKEGAN ILLINOIS , I WAS

Customer Question

MY NAME IS ************* I LIVE WAUKEGAN ILLINOIS , I WAS EMPLOYED FOR ************* FOR 14 YEARS AM WAS A UNION MEMBER. I WAS TERMINATED BECAUSE I WAS GIVEN A DEFECTED MECHANIC BUS . WHEN I WAS GIVEN THE BUS THAT MORNING IT WOULD START I REPORTED IT MY SUPERVISOR AND THEY SENT ME A MECHANIC TO SEE WHAT WAS WRONG WITH THE BUS THE MECHANIC CKECK OUT THE GOT IT STARTED AND TOLD ME IT WAS OK TO DRIVE. SO I TOOK IT OUT ON THE BUS ROUTE . I WAS GOING WEST ON THE ROUTE WHEN THE BUS ACT UP BUZZER STARTED TO SOUND OFF AND THE ENTRANCE DOORS CAME OPEN AND THE CAME TO A SUDDEN STOP IN THE MIDDLE OF THE STREET. I CALLED ***** SUPERVISOR AND TOLD THEM I NEED A BUS PROBLEM AND I NEED A BUS CHANGE-UP. THEY SAID THEY WOULD SEND ME CHANGE-UP BUS I SAID OK .I WAS IN THE MIDDLE OF THE STREET BLOCKING TRAFFIC SO I PUT ON THE BRAKES AND SHUT DOWN THE BUS FROM OUTSIDE AND DO THE SAME THING MECHANIC DID THAT MORNING .THE DOORS WAS OPEN AND THE STOP POSITION WITH THE BUS IN NEUTRAL . I SHUT THE POWER OFF ON THE SIDE OF BUS , WHEN I PULL THE POWER SWITCH OFF THE DOORS CLOSED BY THEMSELFS AND BUS STARTED TO MOVE BY ITSELF SAFELY STREET TO BUS STOP NICE SOFTLY TO SAFE STOP ACROSS THE STREET NO DAMAGE BUS DID NOT HIT ANY THING PASSENGERS DIDN :T GET HURT NOTHING HAPPEN BUS WAS OK PASSENGERS DIDN T HURT I WAS IN NICE SAFE SPOT AT THE BUS SO I WROTE DOWN WHAT HAPPEN AND ON PRE-TRIP REPORT SHEET AND WAITED TELL THE CHANGE-UP BUS CAME. WHEN THE CHANGE-UP BUS CAME I TOLD HIM WHAT HAD HAPPEN TOLD WHAT HAD ABOUT BUS MOVING BY ITSELF.I TOOK THE CHANGE-UP BUS AND THE PASSENGERS AND FINISH THE MORNING PART OF THE ROUTE .WHEN CAME BACK TO THE GARAGE I SAW THEM WORKING ON THE BUS WHEN I CAME BACK.I CAME BACK TO THE GARGAGE FOR LUNCH I SAW THE SAFETY MAN SO I CAME IN HIS AND HIM WHAT HAPPEN THAT MORNING . SO THAT IS EVERY THING GOT UPSETTING . THEY WERE UPSET BECAUSE I DIDN,T TELL THEM HAPPEN AS SOME AS POSSIBLE. SO I MADE OUT THE REPORT I TOLD THEM WHAT HAPPEN .I WAS CALM MAKING SURE EVERY THING WAS OK ,PASSENGERS OK NOTHING HAPPEN SO I DIDN T THINK THERE WAS NEED TO CALL IT NEED . THEY PUT ME OUT OF SERVICE FOR 9 DAYS TO GO OVER REPORT LOOK OVER THE CAMERA FILM LOOK TO SEE WHAT TOLD THEM WAS TRUE. THEY TERMINATED MY 14YEARS OF SAFE SERVICE BECAUSE I DIDNT TELL WHAT HAPPEN SOONER. NOTHING HAPPEN I DIDN T THINK IT WAS EMERGENCY NEED. WHEN I GOT TERMINATED THE TOLD ME THEY WERE TERMINATING BECAUSE I DIDN T REPORT IT SOONER.I CAN UNDER STAND IF SOMETHING HAD HAPPEN I WAS TRYING HIDE SOMETHING BUT I DID NOTHING TO CAUSE DAMAGE TO THE BUS GET ANY BODY HURT. IF THAT HAD HAPPEN I WOULD HAVE CALLED IT IN.THEY GIVE ME A UNSAFE BUS AND I GET TERMINATE BECAUSE I AM DRIVING A UNSAFE BUS.THAT BUS HAS BEEN THEM TROUBLE BEFORE AND STILL IS GIVING THEM.THE UNION WAS TRY TO GET MY BACK BUT NOTHING HAS HAPPEN.THEY STOP MY UNEMPLOYMENT COMPENSATION. THEY PUT SOMETHING MY RECORD THAT IS KEEPING FROM GETTING ANOTHER JOB AS BUS BRIVER OR TRUCK DRIVER I HAD A CHANCE TO GET A JOB AT ********LINES AND ********. MY DAUGHT WORKS AT ********** AND SHE IS IN THE TRANING DEPT. AND SHE TOLD ME PACE PUT SOMETHING ON MY RECORD THAT IS KEEPING ME GETTING HIRED ,SHE TOLD ME THAT HAVE GET THEM GET WHAT EVER THEY PUT ON MY RECORD OFF .I DID NOT CAUSE ANY DAMAGE TO THERE BUS OR HURT ANY BODY. I CALLED UNION TOLD THEM WHAT ****** DID TO RECORD ,BECAUSE AT MY HEARING THEY WERE FIRING ME BECAUSE I WAS LATE WITH THE REPORT.THE UNION SAID THEY ARE ONLY SUPPOSE TO PUT DOWN I WAS TERMINATED. SO WHY IS PACE BUS COMPANY BLACK BALLING ME FROM GETTING ANOTHER JOB . I ONLY WAS LATE WITH THE REPORT ,NOBODY TOLD THEM BUT ME IF I KNEW THIS WAS GOING TO HAPPEN I WOULD HAVE SAID NOTHING. IF DAUGHTER WAS NOTHING WORKING FOR ********** I WOULD HAVE NEVER KNOW WHY I AM NOT GETTING HIRE.
SO CAN YOU PLEASE HELP ME TO GET THAT PROBLEM OFF MY REPORT SO I CAN GET A JOB I HAVE BEEN DRIVING FOR 25 YEARS WITH A CDL CLASS A
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  hrpro37 replied 9 months ago.
Hello, I am sorry for the situation you are in. My best advice is to continue to try going through your union in order to resolve the issue because they ultimately are there for you and to look out for your best interests. However, if you feel that your former company is saying things to companies you are applying with that is preventing you from getting the job, that is something that should not be happening. My advice would be to send an email or letter to your HR department letting them know that you belief that they are slandering you to other employers in the area and that you won't hesitate to take legal action. Your former employer should only be giving out your job title and dates of employment, not any information about your termination. If you have any additional questions feel free to let me know. (and please rate me if you have a moment!).Amber (10+ years of HR Management Experience)