How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Delta-Lawyer Your Own Question
Delta-Lawyer, Lawyer
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 3546
Experience:  In-House Counsel & Litigator
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
Delta-Lawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am an LPN of 26 years and have been with my current employer

Customer Question

I am an LPN of 26 years and have been with my current employer for 3 months. Two months ago I reported to (more than one) my supervisors evidence of narcotic diversion. More than once, controlled substances were noted to be missing. I provided evidence-which consisted of (paper trail) a record of such medication, listed to have been returned to the pharmacy for destruction but lacked the proper-per policy and law-documentation. My supervisors never investigated the matter and it continued. Last week, while I was on duty, it was (to me) made to appear that narcotics "disappeared" and stolen by me. I feel this was a set up. They are now pointing the finger at me. I'm suffering from on-the-job reticule, bullying, threats, and even the childish, unprofessional behavior of "not talking to me". My integrity as a nurse is being questioned for the first time in all my 26 years. My supervisors are now taking steps to cover up the evidence I know is there. I feel my situation is something similar to that of a whistleblower. I even have to endure name calling by those I supervise (cna's). I can't just up and quit, for fear it will look like I'm guilty. The stress of continuing to work in this environment is now making me physically sick. I do not know what to do or who to get help from. So, I guess that is my question...what type of attorney do I need? (keeping in mind I can't afford one).
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Delta-Lawyer replied 1 year ago.
I hope this message finds you well, present circumstances excluded. I am a licensed attorney with over a decade of employment law experience and experience working in the medico/legal area of the law. It is a pleasure to assist you today. It sounds like you have a very viable whistleblower case against the hospital and the hospital administration. There is actually a pretty prominent whistleblower attorney in North Carolina named David Schiller. His contact number is(###) ###-#### I would first give him a call. It may be a case wherein he can take your cause on via contingency agreement wherein you have no upfront cost to litigate. If for some reason he cannot help you, there are other ways to make this stop as well. You can file a complaint with the hospital licensing body in NC. You can also file a complaint with the Nursing Board as well. Finally, since this is prescription/controlled substance related, you can contact the US DEA office in your state and report what is taking place. The DEA can work to investigate the matter and place extreme pressure on the hospital, even making criminal arrests of administrators. The DEA will likely also loop in medicare/medicaid folks to see if there is reimbursement fraud going on as well. Keep your head up and know you are doing the right things here. Please let me know if you have any other questions and please also rate my answer positively (three or more stars) so I can receive credit for my response. Best wishes going forward!
Expert:  Delta-Lawyer replied 1 year ago.
Just checking in this morning to see if you have any additional questions or comments. I want you to be as comfortable as possible moving forward. Thanks