Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  16 years practicing attorney
19958803

They fire me with out reason JA: The Employment Lawyer will

Customer Question

They fire me with out reason
JA: The Employment Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: They don't pay me severance pay
JA: Please give me a bit more information, so we can help you best.
Customer: Ok thanks.i work for McDonald's for 15 years for one owner.he sold the store on March 1and everyone need to go with the new owner.the new owner don't give any overtime and the crew from privies owner start to quit.also they give not properly raises to the managers and managers start to complain .they support to buy one more store and for two months they talking I will be the supervisor on one of them .i so with all mess with crew and managers reaction I call the owner and ask to see and talk with her.when I see her she don't give me to talk she say I bring you here for reason .the sale is down I need to fire you
JA: Got it. The Employment Lawyer will know how to help you. Is there anything else the Employment Lawyer should be aware of?
Customer: After that I ask her to give me realize letter she doesn't want to give me .also the supervisor play with my id in the computer to change me to don't
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Employment Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 9 months ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question..Can you tell me what state this is in?.Are you under a fixed term written employment contract?..thanksBarrister
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hi and thanks for the help.im in NJ and I don't have any sign contract .i can start and explain from the begining to give you more information to help you.i work for mcdonalds for 15 year ,10 years like a store manager .the owner decided to sell the store and all employees need to go with the new owner.they take over on 03/01/2016.the first two weeks they a ok and after that they start to make the problems for overtime what people working.for easter i take one week vacation becouse i need to go out of the state and they dont make any problem .before i go on vacation i clock in and clock out all the time .shen i get back from vacation we supposed to take the check they pay for everyone they told me they can't find me on the payroll and ghey will pay me on next paycheck what is after two weeks .on the next paychecks they say they will give rises to all managers and for me probbably around 1of may becouse they wait to buy one more store and they will make me supervisor for that store and give be bigger rise.when is time come for the paycheck they give no right rises to the managers for strong manager $1 for wicked manager $3.they find out and they start to write me massages with 2 week notice.on that pay check they start to pay me like salary manager but again i miss my pay for one week .they told me becouse they switch me from hourly to salary they can't give me two checks in ones and they will pay me again on next what is after two weeks .after i recive notice from some of my managers from gived 2 weeks notice i copy the massages and i send to my supervisor .he read the massage and dont answered .next morning is satarday about 10am i recive txt to give one of the manager phone number.i txt back and after 5 min store phone is ringing supervisor call and tell one of my manager to be ready hi will pick up for 5 min.supervisor come pick that manager and don't say any words.is busy 3 call outs he take a manager without any communication with me or another manager in thr store and heater in kitchen on 100 f .after hour i call the supervisor to ask to help me for the heater becouse doesn't work and to ask to brink the manager back becouse is crazy busy and hi never answered the phone .i left the work after my shift one of my manager call me and ask me what is all game why the manager who my superypivk up from the store and onother manager talk in onother store wigh him and why the 2more managers need to talk with him next day .im off sunday bug i call the supervisor to ask if is possible to see him and talk with him .in my mind is to ask him for some sution what to fo with crew and managers quiting to talk about the summer becouse the store is down to the shore and is so so busy store during the summer .i get in the store hi is there and i just say what is going on what will do .he start to yell on me how is the electric bill is bigger then the onother store how the phone bill is bigger then the onother store i dont cate if people is quiting the owner don't give overtime and thats oll .he didn't give me to say any words.i just ask him can i talk with gbe ownerhe say go hed.i call the owner she dont answerd and i text her if is possible to see her .she respond and tell md to go to ghe onothef store .i meet her there and i ask her just how ard you .she is answerd im ok .im bring you here for reason the store sale is down we are not happy with the store sale we will fire you .i can't believe what she say i say sorry yes that what you here.and she get out from the room.i left and next day i txt her to give me realise letter then i can ask the privios owner to work for him.the answer is :is no that kind of letter if someone want can call me .that is happend on 24 april .the paychecks is on may 4 the supervisor call me to go and take the paycheck.finally they have 2 checks one from before i go on vacation and one for the last week .he give me blank paper to sign i ressived my ladt paycheck.i write on that paper i recive my last pay check and sign up.but is also so do strange.from that day nobody from my managers never call me and i been in store twice nobody talk with me.with that managers i work 6 years together with some of them 10 years and all of as have good relationship.who knows what they tell them and scar them .
Sorry is so long just want to give you all picture.any way i can sui them or not
Thanks so much
Ok, I really hate to give you this information, but if you aren't under a fixed term written contract, then legally you are considered an "at will" employee. What this means is that an employee can quit or an employer can fire or change the terms of employment (change hours, location, duties, pay, etc.) at any time for any or no reason at all..While what the employer did was inequitable and unfair in treating you this way, it was not illegal. Wrongful termination only comes into play if you were terminated for being part of a protected class (gender, sexual orientation, age, disability, religion, national origin)..However, if they still owe you paychecks that you haven't received, then you can file a "wage and hour complaint" with the NJ Dept of Labor and they can take action to force the employer to pay you those wages...I am very sorry that I don’t have better news, but please understand that I do have an ethical and professional obligation to provide customers with legally correct answers based on my knowledge and experience, even when I know the answer doesn’t make the customer happy.... thanksBarrister