John, Employment Lawyer
Experience:  Exclusively practice labor and employment law.

Terminated from a law firm by telephone and not given a reason

Customer Question

Terminated from a law firm by telephone and not given a reason why. This was a well documented hostile working enviroment.
JA: Got it. The Employment Lawyer will know how to help you. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: Prior to the termination I consulted with an employment lawyer regarding internal emails I was receiving that were derogatory in nature and not from supervising attorneys. I was receiving them from other support staff who I was not told at any time during my employment with the firm were my supervisors.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Employment Lawyer should know?
Customer: Can I collect unemployment benefits? I have over a 20 year work history in the legal field, over 40 years total work history, and this is the first time I have ever been fired. Also, I was the fourth individual within one year's time in the position I held. I was asked to draft motions and report my time to my attorney. He would then bill the client under his name for the time I spent. This was an insurance defense firm.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Employment Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  John replied 5 months ago.
You were terminated for no cause of your own and were not given any warning on changing behavior etc. to improve performance. Therefore you do qualify for unemployment. Regardless of how well you did on your job you'd be owed these benefits. This is separate from your harassment matter, which may itself provide you with a cause of action against the firm if you notified them and they took no action.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
John, I used your response in regards ***** ***** benefits when answering Arizona's Unemployment Questionarie. They have 21 days in which to make a decision. I have 15 days after the decision to appeal. I don't think rating your response is appropriate until I've received the decision. Please note, I was not given any warning, verbal or otherwise, to change my behavior, etc. prior to being fired. I'll rate once the decision has been received. Thank you.
Expert:  John replied 5 months ago.
You're welcome. Please leave a positive rating before you exit this chat as it is the only way I get credit for my answers. If you have any questions in the future regarding this matter come back to this thread and I'll be happy to answer. Thanks and good luck with the matter.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
John, again, I won't rate you answer until the Arizona Department of Economic Security's Unemployment Division makes a decision regarding my benefits. This could be three weeks out. I'll rate at the time of the decision.
Expert:  John replied 5 months ago.
Your question will have timed out by then, but whatever I don't care.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
John, you could have simply, and professionally, responded telling me "your questions will have timed out by then, . . ." I would have then rated so you were paid. To add "but whatever[,] I don't care." was nothing short of petulant, immature and unprofessional. Get a grip dude. I've worked with attorneys for over four decades. This is the first time ever where I have been terminated from any type of job. I understand attorneys are just human, but at least they have all been professionals. Get a grip young man, or you will never make it in your choosen profession beyond being a bottom feeder.
Expert:  John replied 5 months ago.
I already made it in my profession. One way I do that is by writing off dead beats. BYE.
Expert:  John replied 5 months ago.
Your question will be administratively closed.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
John, thank you for the laugh. It is the best one I've had in weeks. You are obviously under the age of 40, and sure as hell aren't AV rated or working for an AV rated firm. You are a long way from having "made it in my profession." Passing the Bar Exam isn't making it the legal profession, and hey, no one is going to take you seriously face-to-face until you get over 40 and dropped the attitude. It would help to attempt to bring your emotional intelligence in direct correlation with your chronilogical age.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Jerk. I was just getting ready to give you a rating. Your responses show your immature and lack of professionalism. Best of luck. You will need. Christ, I'm glad I'm only four years away from retirement with a house that is paid for, a 2015 Mustang that is paid for, and no credit card balances. Adios asshole from the great state of Arizona, which gave you your Miranda rights!
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Made it in your profession my ass.
Expert:  John replied 5 months ago.
Right. Like I stated, your question is being closed. If you keep responding the website keeps your question opened and your money locked.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Oh, I promise this is my last response to you. The next one is a phone call young man.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Responding keeps the question open and my money locked per the website John? Seriously, you must learn how to interact with Customer Service, which has already refunded my money and taken this discussion log to a higher level for review given your "whatever" response and lack of professionalism.