Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

I took out a life insurance policy in May 2014 on my son who

Customer Question

I took out a life insurance policy in May 2014 on my son who died in February 2016 of compications of chronic ethanol. He did not live with me for over 20 years. In 2010 after I retired I started taking him to a private doctor because he had severe psoraisi and and bulging varicose veins. That is the on health issues I was aware of at the time the policy was taken out. Those doctors treated him for those diseases. MetLife contested my policy and said it was routine procedures and I had an outside independent investigator interview me in March and got a phone from MetLife because called them and a letter on March 16, 2016 and I have not heard from them since. Should I keep calling them to get a answer a to whether they are going to pay my call or hire a lawyer to help me with my claim? Confused and disappointed.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Delta-Lawyer replied 11 months ago.
I hope this message finds you well, present circumstances excluded. I am a licensed attorney with over a dozen years of experience in this area. First off, you are handling this correctly. Second, you need to stay in contact with them, but not by phone. You need to send them certified letters with a return receipt for the next two or three contacts over the next month. This way, you establish a record of your diligence and reasonableness. This is a repeatable record that you can use if you have to use a lawyer at a later date to get the money you obviously deserve. By taking this approach, you are automatically building evidence for an insurance bad faith claim down the line. Let me know if you have any other questions or comments. Please also rate my answer positively (three or more stars) so I can receive credit for my response. Best wishes!
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I did not ask about an employment issue. This is about why aren't they paying or replying back to me about the $50,000 policy I took out on my son ? How long does it take for them to let me know if they are going to pay me if I'm only 3 months short of the 2 year period. I just want to know the usual procedure?
This is about why aren't they paying or replying back to me about the $50,000 policy I took out on my son ? That was also the nature of my response. You need to establish a repeatable record of your attempts to solve this without court intervention. That way, if you do have to involve the courts, you have evidence to show your due diligence. How long does it take for them to let me know if they are going to pay me if I'm only 3 months short of the 2 year period? That is extremely long. Normally, there is an answer within 6 months. With that being said, send a letter per week for the next three weeks. If they do not respond in the affirmative and issue a payment, you need to contact a lawyer and begin the process of filing an insurance bad faith claim against this company.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Do you understand what I asked? I contacted them in in February that my son had passed. It has not been six months since I heard from. I am not getting any answers to my questions. This sounds like the answers are coming from a computer. I want my money back!!!! Very unhappy with my answers. I have a extremely poor rating. I'm getting ripped off by my insurance co and now getting cheated by someone I thought would help me. I used all the money I had to bury my sound and I don't have $36 dollars to give away to this scam. Iwll file a complaint with the Attorne Genearals office. I feel this was a waste of my hard earned money. Signed Broked!!!
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 11 months ago.
A different Professional here. My deepest sympathies for your loss. Your questions: This is about why aren't they paying or replying back to me about the $50,000 policy I took out on my son ? How long does it take for them to let me know if they are going to pay me if I'm only 3 months short of the 2 year period. Response 1: Few days after a properly submitted claim. I just want to know the usual procedure? Response 2: Here they are: (1) notify the insurance company of the death; (2) file a claim; (3) wait a few days for the insurance company to get back you whether the claim is approved, denied, or if additional information is needed to process the claim. If it has been three months since you made the claim, and you have not received any response from the insurance company, then you need to file complaint against the insurance company with your State's insurance commissioner and let the office investigate why the insurance company has refused to pay a properly submitted claim. Click on the link below to file your complaint: https://mc.insurance.illinois.gov/messagecenter.nsf Kindly give a positive rating to my response so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for doing this. Thank you for your cooperation.