Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer
Experience:  Employment/Labor Law Litigation
20011183

What can be done about your supervisor. Who followed you

Customer Question

What can be done about your supervisor. Who followed you around all day. But won't say anything to you. She stands with her arms crossed and states at you. But won't saiy anything. She is stocking, mutilating or what is it. I have asked my CEO. About this, he said he will talk to her about it. It just get worse. What are my choices. Thank you for your time. Shelly Bonow [email protected] com
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Allen M., Esq. replied 6 months ago.
Thank you for trusting your question to JA today. I am a licensed attorney with over a decade of law practice and over 20 years of experience in the legal field. I’m happy to be of assistance. Unfortunately, unless you can connect this behavior to discrimination based on your race, religion, gender, age, disability or recent medical leave use, there is little that can be done beyond what you have already done. Employment law has very limited aims, because the statutes concerning employment law are very focused. The Supreme Court discussed this limitation when addressing the definition of "hostile work environment" which sounds like it would apply to many general situations of unfair treatment. However, the high court noted that our employment laws are not meant to be a civility code, but rather, are only intended to address discrimination based on the factors I previously mentioned. So, for the harassing behavior to be illegal in employment law, and the employer's lack of response to also be illegal, you have to demonstrated that the motivation behind the behavior is illegal discrimination based on one of those factors and not just simple-minded immaturity and poor supervisory skills. Otherwise, it is not actually illegal behavior and you are left with whatever internal processes the employer chooses to have in place, if any. If you have any further questions, please let me know. I invite follow up questions, so use REPLY for those. If you have no further questions then good luck going forward and please do not forget to rate my service with a top-three rating so that I receive credit for working with you today. Also, feel free to request me in the future, if you have questions concerning a different matter.