Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Lawyer
Experience:  Practicing Attorney with 10 years experience

I've just been demoted from a office manager position,

Customer Question

Hello I've just been demoted from a office manager position, I've been with the company for 12 years now and an office manager for the last 7 years. I received the management position when the company opened a new location, which for the first few years the work load wasn't that much so I only had one assistant. Where as the other locations have the manager and two assistants to help with the work load, so now going into the 7th year of this location the work load has risen. Let me also say that l have been through 4 assistants mainly because of the work load, they became overwhelmed. I've been able to handle the transition from assistant to assistant well so far until this last transition. Before they fired my last assistant I had brought up the suggestion of hiring another person to help with the work load, their solution to the problem was to fire the assistant who they thought couldn't handle it and hire someone who they thought could. So now I'm here retraining another assistant and the work load is getting backed up, it's now been a month of training and still can't seem to catch up on the work load. I've been stressed and overwhelmed with this issue so I had a meeting with the director to try to come up with a solution, I suggested again to hire more help, work more hours, or hire a temp. to help catch up. Which their response was that I can't handle the position and they want me to accept a demotion. But I don't understand how I've been doing a good jod this whole time up to this point where the company has grown larger. It has been a combination of new employee having to train, more work load has risen, and not enough time to catch up for the new cases we are now getting. So my question is, does this sound fair or better yet is this legal? I don't know how I feel taking a demotion after 7 years in management after all the hard work I put in, they gave me a choice to either take the demotion or quit with my title, they gave til Monday May 17, 2016 to make my decision. So if someone can please help with some advice. Thanks..
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Asad Rahman replied 5 months ago.
I am sorry about this situation. I do not see anything illegal here. I understand your concerns and it is unfair to put so much work on you. They are giving you the choice so it is not like they are making you quit. I do not necessarily agree with the way they are handling this but I do not see a basis to challenge them in court.