Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Lawyer
Experience:  Practicing Attorney with 10 years experience

I live in GA. I know all about at will states. I worked for

Customer Question

I live in GA. I know all about at will states. I worked for a restaurant corporate concept for three years. Then got hired in with a franchise same concept and name. I started March 1st. I was fired today i was told misconduct and something about behaviour. I have no warnings write ups etc . I was takeb by surprise. I was being let go because I had an employee who was sjouting at me. I went back to the office and she came back still shouting. I told her to leave and she wouldnt . She get getting louder so I had to raise my voice to get her to go. She left. My boss told me she called the hot line. He also said he was close to firing her anyway. But the district manager came in the next day and fired me. He said he watched the camera with no sound and said I was at fault. I could not get her to leave.I don't understand why I was fired.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Asad Rahman replied 5 months ago.
I am sorry to hear this. It seems you may have a legitimate claim for wrongful termination. You are right that it is an at will state but they cannot fire you when you are being subject to harassment. You need to talk to a local attorney who can help you with the claim. Let me know of any specific questions you have.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
But they are saying I was yelling at her. I was not I was telling to stop shouting and was telling her to leave she wouldnt. I had to get louder then. They have no audio and no witnesses who saw her in the back. I am confused why I am fired. Can i apply for unemployment? June 1st would be my 90 days. Also I just want to make sure this is wrongful termination
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Oh they have video no sound
You can apply for unemployment but they will say you were fired for cause. I think there is wrongful termination as they failed to do a proper investigation and believed only one side over the other.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
How can it be fired for cause? I didn't intentionally do anything. I needed her to stop shouting and leace. She wouldnt. Doesn't unemployment see that as wrongful termination?
I'm not saying I agree with them but that is what they will say. You will say otherwise. There will be a hearing usually and the administrative officer will determine.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thank u
Sure, I wish you lots of luck. A positive rating of 3 or higher would be appreciated as we only get paid for positive ratings.