How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawTalk Your Own Question
LawTalk, Attorney
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 36083
Experience:  30 years legal experience and I keep current in Employment Law through regular continuing education.
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
LawTalk is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I would like to retire early under medical reasons. How do

Customer Question

I would like to retire early under medical reasons. How do I claim early retirement ? I have sickle cell anemia and the stress at my job are making things difficult.
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 9 months ago.
Good afternoon,I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. In order to give you a clear and concise answer, I will need some additional information about the circumstances, please. 1. How do you claim early retirement from where? What retirement benefit are you referring to?Doug
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I work for the Federal Government and according to them I can retire at any age with 30 years of service. Ive been working since 1992. But would like to leave earlier due to my illness
Expert:  LawTalk replied 9 months ago.
Good afternoon, Thanks for the clarification. Because you work for the federal government, you will need to apply for a Disability Retirement through your employer. You do not have to show that you are totally disabled in order to qualify for a disability retirement. The standard of proof which must be met is to merely show that he or she is you are unable, because of disease or injury, to render useful and efficient service in the position you presently occupy. You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.I hope that I have been able to fully answer your question. As I am not an employee of JustAnswer, please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am compensated for assisting you. Thank you in advance.I wish you and yours the best in 2016,Doug
Expert:  LawTalk replied 9 months ago.
Good afternoon,Do you have any additional questions that you would like me to address for you?In case you would like a phone call to further discuss these issues you have raised, I will make that offer to you. You are certainly not obligated to accept a call offer, but many people do find it helpful for clarification purposes, as well as to allow them to ask additional questions.As I have provided you with the information you asked for, would you please now rate my service to you so I can be compensated for assisting you?Thanks in advance,Doug

Related Employment Law Questions