Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer
Experience:  Employment/Labor Law Litigation
20011183

Can an employer disclose why I was fired to an agency asking

Customer Question

can an employer disclose why I was fired to an agency asking for a termination date? I live in the Washing state
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Allen M., Esq. replied 6 months ago.
Thank you for trusting your question to JA today. I am a licensed attorney with over a decade of law practice and over 20 years of experience in the legal field. I’m happy to be of assistance. Regrettably yes, they can. Employers are not restricted from revealing the basis for a termination. The only law that would restrict them in regards ***** ***** they say is the law against defamation of character. That law only requires that what they say is true. So, if you were in fact terminated, and the facts surrounding the basis for that termination are known, the employer can reveal them. Most employers don't, but that's a policy choice and not a law imposed on them. If you have any further questions, please let me know. I invite follow up questions, so use REPLY for those. If you have no further questions then good luck going forward and please do not forget to rate my service with a top-three rating so that I receive credit for working with you today. Also, feel free to request me in the future, if you have questions concerning a different matter.
Hello, I wanted to check in and make sure that there was not any additional information that you required. If you need further assistance, please use REPLY and ask me for any additional information you may need. If not, take care and have a great day.