Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  20+ Years of Employment Law Experience

So the eeoc just notified me that I was to receive 47,000(12,000

Customer Question

so the eeoc just notified me that I was to receive 47,000(12,000 bck wages and 35,000 compensatory damages) for an ADA ruling. I know the back wages are taxable but are the compensatory damages taxable?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 5 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
According to the IRS code, some compensatory damages are taxable and they go on to say, " If the emotional distress is due to a personal injury that is not due to a physical injury or sickness (for example, unlawful discrimination or injury to reputation), you must include the damages in your income..." So, yes, legally it is taxable. See: