Attorney2020
Attorney2020, Lawyer
Experience:  I have significant experience in employment law.
63724254

I work NJ State Police and recently learned that several

Customer Question

I work for the NJ State Police and recently learned that several management employees are colluding to fire someone. This has been going on toward me as well. Is this illegal?
JA: Got it. The Employment Lawyer will know how to help you. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: No
JA: Please tell me everything you can about this issue so the Employment Lawyer can help you best. Please give me a bit more information, so we can help you best.
Customer: Several years ago, I became pregnant with my first child. This upset my supervisor and her husband, whom she reported to. She treated me very poorly because of the pregnancy & made my employment miserable. I eventually obtained a transfer to a lab with duties outside my expertise. I learned the new duties but got hurt on the job. My new supervisor had been a close friend of the supv I transferred away from. He eagerly complained about me to management, who then transferred me again to another area where I lacked expertise. Then for three years, they frequently called me in for discipline issues while I continually had documentation from doctors stating that my new duties were exacerbating me health issues. I felt that they were trying to find cause to fire me or get me to quit the entire time. Then a new employee started and their attentions became focused on firing them. I would like to transfer back to my old position to experience less pain and less stress. I feel when they are done with this other employee, they will turn their efforts back on colluding to fire me. They have been heard admitting that they are making every effort to fire this other employee who has given them no reason for the managment's actions.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Employment Lawyer should know?
Customer: My job seems to attack people with ADA or FMLA issues, both of which I have.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Employment Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Attorney2020 replied 1 year ago.

This treatment appears to be in violation of federal law under Title VII for disability discrimination. An employer may not treat you differently based upon a disability. You have the right to file a claim with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission where an investigation may be performed on your behalf. See link to submit a claim: https://www.eeoc.gov/employees/charge.cfm

After you submit a claim, an investigator will contact you and determine whether the employer has committed labor law violations.

I hope that helped. Please as any follow-up questions. Please rate my answer so that I may be credited for my time. I thank you in advance for your cooperation.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What about the collusion between members of management to fire someone. Is that illegal on its own?

Yes it is legal unless the colluding is based upon discrimination, retaliation, harassment based upon race, gender, sexual orientation, age, re;religion or disability.

I hope that helped. Please ask any follow-up questions. Please rate my answer so that I may be credited for my time. I thank you in advance for your cooperation.