Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer
Experience:  Employment/Labor Law Litigation

My former employer owns me back pay from September 2015 to

Customer Question

My former employer owns me back pay from September 2015 to March 2016. I resigned from the company April 1, 2016. The company is located in Maryland, which is an At Will state. I was told prior to my leaving the company that all back pay would be processed in April 2016. They are also in violation of their Employee Handbook regarding Annual Performance Reviews and Back Pay.
What do you recommend my next steps be?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Allen M., Esq. replied 5 months ago.
Thank you for trusting your question to JA today. I am a licensed attorney with over a decade of law practice and over 20 years of experience in the legal field. I’m happy to be of assistance. You should file something called a "wage claim" with your state's Department of Labor, Licensing and Regulation. That entity has a special process where they will investigate and order payment for owed compensation from an employer related to work. You can file through them or sue in state court, but I think using the free service is the best place to start. If you have any further questions, please let me know. I invite follow up questions, so use REPLY for those. If you have no further questions then good luck going forward and please do not forget to rate my service with a top-three rating so that I receive credit for working with you today. Also, feel free to request me in the future, if you have questions concerning a different matter.
Hello, I wanted to check in and make sure that there was not any additional information that you required. If you need further assistance, please use REPLY and ask me for any additional information you may need. If not, take care and have a great day.