Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Significant experience in all areas of employment law.
60109343

Subjected to systematic exclusion and marginalization at workplace

Customer Question

Subjected to systematic exclusion and marginalization at workplace by co workers because of national origin . How to sue my employer
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 7 months ago.
Hello and thank you for entrusting me to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do everything I can to answer your question. The first step is to file a complaint with the Maryland Commission on Civil Rights. The Commission will investigate and attempt to mediate a resolution with your employer. That not forthcoming, they will either file a lawsuit on your behalf or issue you a "right to sue" letter, which will enable you to sue in civil court with the assistance of an attorney. It is a legal requirement that you go through this administrative process first. It is not something that can be shortcutted, but it's generally not something you would want to shortcut anyway, as many complaints are resolved at this stage before a lawsuit is even necessary. I hope that you find this information helpful. Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further.If you do not require any further assistance, please be so kind as to provide a positive rating of my service so that I may receive credit for assisting you. Very best wishes moving forward.* Disclaimer *Just Answer is a venue for informational and educational purposes only. No attorney-client relationship is formed by these communications.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Dear *****,
I appreciate your response. I work remote. I am based in Maryland but My company head office is in california. So should I file complaint in Maryland or California commission.
Thank you for your reply. Technically speaking, it would be possible to file in either jurisdiction. However, from a strategic standpoint, it may be more wise to file in the state where you are physically located as that will make your claim more difficult to defend, thus, making it more likely that your employer will want to settle. I hope this clarifies things. Again, please feel free to let me know if you have any further concerns. If I have answered your question, I would be very grateful for a positive rating of my service so that I may receive credit for assisting you.Very best wishes.
Was there anything else I can do to assist you? If so, please let me know. If I have answered your question, I would be very grateful if you would take a moment to positively rate my service. This is how I am paid for my time and so is extremely appreciated. Best, Patrick